Click on the AFTA logo to return to the main Alaska Frontier Trappers Association Home Page

<
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2017, 05:44:20 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Due to some loading issues we have set pictures to appear as thumbnails. Click on the picture and it should pop up in an expanded size.   
We have added some new triggers for member registration.  Read the latest forum news for help. Email directly for a quick response.  jon@akfrontiertrappers.com 

+  Alaska Frontier Trappers Association
|-+  Trapping
| |-+  Trappers Talk
| | |-+  Wolf lure
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wolf lure  (Read 6037 times)
dvranish

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »

Hi guys!
We are about to have our first Wolf trapping season in many years. Of course, there is the usual chatter about Wolf traps and Wolf scent.
To go straight to the place where it is done, I am here. What is the best Wolf trap and Wolf scent to use? Also, is your convention still on for this coming summer?
David  Smiley
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:41:28 PM »

Dvranish,  sorry no one responded sooner to your post.  Huh? One reason may have been that you failed to say where you are located or what the conditions are there. Snow trapping or dirt?  Cold or wet? 
I don't use a lure for them.  There is some lures that would work to catch one
but the rest of the pack would be wise to that scent in the future and would not go near it.  They are quick to learn. You may switch to a different lure and catch one more,  but from that point on the rest of the pack would steer wide of any unnatural scent.  You can use a small chunk of soured beaver meat, bear meat  or something natural like that and do OK with it. 

As far as a trap I use basically a modified Alaskan #9.  These traps cost somewhere around $125.00  and IMO definitely need some pretty involved modifications.  By the time you're done you may have $175.00 into each one.  It will be a top wolf trap, but also a very costly one.
With that in mind, if I was starting out and looking to get some wolf traps at a reasonable price  I would be looking at the MB750W.   It is not IMO what I'd call
an "excellent"  wolf trap, but it is a strong trap, and it will work,  and will not cost
an arm and a leg  to get a dozen of them or what ever number you want.
Anyway, that's kinda my .02 , maybe someone else can chime in here.

dvranish

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »

Dvranish,  sorry no one responded sooner to your post.  Huh? One reason may have been that you failed to say where you are located or what the conditions are there. Snow trapping or dirt?  Cold or wet? 
I don't use a lure for them.  There is some lures that would work to catch one
but the rest of the pack would be wise to that scent in the future and would not go near it.  They are quick to learn. You may switch to a different lure and catch one more,  but from that point on the rest of the pack would steer wide of any unnatural scent.  You can use a small chunk of soured beaver meat, bear meat  or something natural like that and do OK with it. 

As far as a trap I use basically a modified Alaskan #9.  These traps cost somewhere around $125.00  and IMO definitely need some pretty involved modifications.  By the time you're done you may have $175.00 into each one.  It will be a top wolf trap, but also a very costly one.
With that in mind, if I was starting out and looking to get some wolf traps at a reasonable price  I would be looking at the MB750W.   It is not IMO what I'd call
an "excellent"  wolf trap, but it is a strong trap, and it will work,  and will not cost
an arm and a leg  to get a dozen of them or what ever number you want.
Anyway, that's kinda my .02 , maybe someone else can chime in here.

You are correct, my location was not given. the location is Minnesota and the weather will probably be snow with a shallow frost (Nov 25th to Dec 15th) the season has not been set in stone yet. This means it could be 2" of snow like this year or 3ft of snow like last year. Our weather has just been crazy the last few years. Alaskan #9 will probably have too big of a jaw spread for our DNR, so the MB750W looks like it is the choice.
David  Smiley
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 08:30:20 PM »

OK.  Are you guy's allowed to use snares there?  Or just footholds?
DHahn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »

Hey Spek, you usin the glands from your catches to rescent a differnt area
Dube

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »

snares also yes
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:53:25 AM »

Dhahn,   I use to save the glands, bladder etc  but kinda quit fooling with it.  I use
way more snares than footholds, and catch more on blind trail sets than any
other way.    It's good to mix them up though.   But I think a lot depends on where you are, different areas, terrain, and conditions.  Some methods that work good in one area don't in another.   Kinda have to figure out what works best for you for
your area and conditions.   

dvranish

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 10:54:56 AM »

Our season now has solidified a bit. It will be a combination season leaning toward the beloved Deer hunters. There will be a second season just a few weeks later that will allow trappers to have about 600 permits. The first hunt is open to both hunters and trappers. Can you imagine trying to trap after 30,000 hunters have been shooting at these wolves for two weeks. On top of that, we have about 500,000 Deer Hunters that will shoot anyway, permit or not. Thenwhen we really get to trap, how many hunters will shoot our Wolves and say they got it walking down a trail.
David  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length