Click on the AFTA logo to return to the main Alaska Frontier Trappers Association Home Page

<
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2017, 05:31:05 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Due to some loading issues we have set pictures to appear as thumbnails. Click on the picture and it should pop up in an expanded size.   
We have added some new triggers for member registration.  Read the latest forum news for help. Email directly for a quick response.  jon@akfrontiertrappers.com 

+  Alaska Frontier Trappers Association
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  General Chit Chat
| | |-+  Old SkiDoo brochure
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Old SkiDoo brochure  (Read 1875 times)
SpekJones

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »

Was cleaning out a file cabinet yesterday and ran across this old brochure, thought
some of you might get a kick out of it.  This is one I believe from either '59 or '60
that the first SkiDoo dealer in Homer gave to my father.   I was only 9 or 10 years old
at the time but I believe this was the first production SkiDoo's built and marketed.
This was the only two models made at the time. The single track in the brochure was kind of the forerunner of the SkiDoo "Olympic", but they had model numbers rather than model names at the time.  Hope these scanned pictures are big enough to
make out the writing.   Smiley

eaglecap

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »

Wow that is cool to see, 50 yrs later and my Tundra II does not seem that much different. Maybe that is why I like it, fairly light & simple.
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 07:22:40 AM »

Yeah, the engineering in these machines pretty much started the snowmachine
revolution.  Different types of machines were tried for a long time before SkiDoo
came out with this design, but none of the earlier ones ever caught on with the
general public.  It wasn't long until a lot of different manufactures jumped on the band wagon and started building machines along the same lines.   Just guessing here
but seems to me that by 1970 there were probably in the neighborhood of about
25 or 30 different brands being made.  Most of them went by the wayside by the mid '70's.   Some of them I recall off the top of my head that soon went out of business
were Rupp, Skiroule, SnowJet, Chapparal, Bolen, Scorpion, SkiDaddler, Evinrude,
Sears Snow Crusier,  Mercury and a bunch more I can't remember the names of. 
SkiDoo, Polaris, Yamaha, and Arctic Cat prevailed though and became the four major
brands we have today. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length