Click on the AFTA logo to return to the main Alaska Frontier Trappers Association Home Page

<
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2017, 05:42:18 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Due to some loading issues we have set pictures to appear as thumbnails. Click on the picture and it should pop up in an expanded size.   
We have added some new triggers for member registration.  Read the latest forum news for help. Email directly for a quick response.  jon@akfrontiertrappers.com 

+  Alaska Frontier Trappers Association
|-+  Trapping
| |-+  Trappers Talk
| | |-+  Next year's vacation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Next year's vacation  (Read 1798 times)
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2011, 01:56:00 AM »

I have it figured out, next year I'm going on vacation with Lester (knife maker on our forum).  My latest excitement was seeing my very first badger.  It was road kill but I was gonna get some fur.  Texas heat already had his fur slipping so I was down to recovering a skull.  My step-brother had just used my knife to strip some copper ground wire while we were out on one of the oil rigs so things didn't go so well.  As I hacked away the smell got worse, my brother was gagging and I got plenty of strange looks from people passing by.  I got the head off and once it was separated I realized the skull was busted.   It felt solid until I got it loose.  So the closest gas station was 20 minutes away and the dead smell had permeated the rubber palm parts of my gloves.  I got hosed down with spray deodorant every few seconds from my wrestling match with the road kill critter. I sure miss just being able to stack my critters up for a week or two on the porch and then thawing them on a skinning weekend. They don't last long down here on the asphalt.  One badger wasted but I tried, last week a coyote was on the side of the road blown up to the size that would probably scare a wolf.  I didn't mess with him.  The week before there was a dead coon between here and midland, just where was he living?  I can see over every bush or wanna be tree in that area and there is no water.  I could run pugs for coons around there and they could still snatch a coon from the tallest bush by his front leg. I need to find some folks with property.  You guys in Alaska be very happy of all the access you have.  I'd be happy to battle folks on the flats now versus having nothing here.
AK Fur Man
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 09:09:19 AM »

There is always room for you back here in "The Great Land", Jon!  We miss you, dude.

DHahn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 09:59:13 PM »

Jon hope all is well if you get to bored there is always a plane heading north
ebalaska

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:57:57 AM »

Jon I can see you being on a reality TV show "Alaskan Redneck Stuck in Texass" hunting for the big game on the side of the road with your gerber Grin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length