Click on the AFTA logo to return to the main Alaska Frontier Trappers Association Home Page

<
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2017, 05:41:15 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Due to some loading issues we have set pictures to appear as thumbnails. Click on the picture and it should pop up in an expanded size.   
We have added some new triggers for member registration.  Read the latest forum news for help. Email directly for a quick response.  jon@akfrontiertrappers.com 

+  Alaska Frontier Trappers Association
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  General Chit Chat
| | |-+  off topic but...who does quality fish mounts
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: off topic but...who does quality fish mounts  (Read 1767 times)
Dube

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2011, 12:11:42 PM »

The wife got a 55inch king this summer and i would like to get a reproduction made for her woodland is $24 an inch thats around $1300 for a fish mount. I understand quality costs money but really I had a 9'+ browny rugged for less than that as well as a shoulder mount of a moose. Gotta be a deal to be had. Any thoughts or suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:13:27 PM by Dube » Logged
Todd

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »

When it comes to salmon or trout, your gona be hard pressed to beat Eric Knowlton of Reel Trout Studios in Wasilla. He'll actually carve that fish to as exact specs as he can, even down to scars etc...

Just spend an hour in his shop talking to him and looking at what he's working on or what he has done and you'll be sold. I know because I'm a stickler for detail, and he'll be doing any big trout or salmon I get.

Now If I can just get him to do a pike.  Grin

http://www.reeltrout.com/retailers.htm
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:33:32 PM »

When I was going to do my kids' fish it was around the same price you are finding.  I wish I had my 62 .lber done when I caught it.  In 1990 it was 12$ an inch for a fiberglass repro and 10 dollars an inch for an actual skin mount.  They told me the skin mounts don't last as long.  Of course then it would have been out of my dad's wallet and he didn't spring for it.
For my kids' I did find some studios on line allot cheaper but they wanted a bunch of measurements and pics.  They were afraid they would send me on monster trout with paint.  They were honest in the fact they didn't know the spawning colors and shape changes.  I know now to take a bunch of pictures, measurements and pics with a tape in it to show scale of teeth, coloration patterns, jaw length and such.  Most fiberglass replicas are ordered in certain sizes per type of salmon but on some they can order a larger or smaller of a different species and finesse the details unless you specify a spawned out phase (even then some guys can work it).  If you got a bunch of pics try checking some out.  If you know an airbrush guy you can order the fiberglass mold yourself and have him give it a whirl.  There are free videos on the net on how to do patterning, spots and all the rest of the airbrushing.  I couldn't even paint a flat surface one color with an airbrush so I never tried.  My buddy does tshirts and license plates but he didn't want to try for fear of wasting my money on paint.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length