Click on the AFTA logo to return to the main Alaska Frontier Trappers Association Home Page

<
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2017, 05:45:35 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Due to some loading issues we have set pictures to appear as thumbnails. Click on the picture and it should pop up in an expanded size.   
We have added some new triggers for member registration.  Read the latest forum news for help. Email directly for a quick response.  jon@akfrontiertrappers.com 

+  Alaska Frontier Trappers Association
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  General Chit Chat
| | |-+  Waiting for the forums to pick up
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Waiting for the forums to pick up  (Read 3014 times)
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2011, 11:20:52 PM »

As I continue to get settled in Texas I am hoping to see the forums pick up.  I have had a couple coyotes in the back pasture a couple nights. They wouldn't be worth taking them out but it would help keep the neighborhood pets safe.  They have been after a couple calves, neighbors dogs and their outdoor cats.  Half of their weight is probably ticks and with the size of them Rick's dog could scare them off.  She sounds really mean at the door. Grin  I saw a coon dead on the side of the road and got a little excited. I chose not to pick it up even though it didn't look damaged. Just BIG and VERY ROUND   I think the size was due to the 100 degrees on the asphalt bloat.  I guess that proves that they stretch o.k..  Anyway, let me know if there are any problems with the site or if you have any ideas for changes to the main web site.  I'm gonna need pictures from you guys and gals to survive.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:29:29 AM by jon333 » Logged
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 06:35:09 PM »

Jon,  really good to hear from you,  been wondering if you had moved yet. Quite a change going from Alaska to Texas.   Where did you settle at?  I've got relatives
scattered over a lot of the country there,  Midland,  Odessa, Lewisville (Dallas)
Eldorado, Memphis,  Big Springs,  Amarillo (to name a few).
Sounds like you're seeing some critters around anyway.  Trapping tick infected
coyotes probably won't be any worse than trapping louse ate wolves.  At least you
should be able to make a dirt hole set without it being froze solid or washed out the next day.  THIN 'EM OUT.  Smiley

Maybe with summer winding down the forum will pick up and get rolling again.
Hope so.
AK Fur Man
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:21:38 AM »

Spek,
   Jon settled in the Midland / Odessa area in a town called Gardendale.  We sure miss him and the family.
Rick

SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 03:43:18 PM »

Thanks Rick.  I was last in Midland in about '85, just for a couple days to visit
aunts and uncles.   I don't know hardly anything about the State except that
most of my relatives live there, and a big portion I have never met.  I do remember seeing a big flock of wild turkeys someplace between Amarillo and Midland  and wishing I had a shotgun. Smiley 
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:41:50 AM »

Well that's a big stretch between those places and the turkeys are doing good south of here. Actually everywhere but here. I am damn sure in the desert.  I left the Odessa area around 86-87 to move to Eielson A.F.B. with my Dad.  Moved 5 miles to moose creek in 93 and then to work on the boats in 96.  After cod and pollock of 96 I lived in anchorage until 2001 when I bought my house in the valley.  Well skip 2 years in there for Tennessee to satisfy the wife. I was back quick and often enough that I never changed my license or address.  It was just a loooooonnnggg visit.  After meeting her family you can add alot more o's, n's and g's to that word long.
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 04:54:10 AM »

It is at that Jon.  I didn't care much for Amarillo.  There was a blizzard blowing there
when I left my uncles place and it looked like the north slope.  Drove from there to
Midland and down there it was T shirt weather.  Quite a change.  For me Texas
is a fun place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.  We took the kids to some of the caverns which were interesting (one was close to a mile long) and went to see
the dinosaur tracks at Glen Rose.  (Don't know if you ever been there but it's worth
seeing).

Anyway, we'll leave the lantern going Jon so you can find your way back.  Smiley
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 07:51:23 PM »

I appreciate the lantern gesture, I'll probably use it before too long.  With as much as this is supposed to be a hunting area
most of these folks I wouldn't call hunters.  Buy fancy stuff, they don't know what its called or how to use it.  I think there is just
so much stuff too shoot for the people that can afford to get a lease they can't miss.  Some know what they are doing but those guys must be out in the country(well, further out than we are).  If I go to or call a sporting goods store I can't get as solid answer.  I asked for a bow release the other day and none of the stores had one supposedly.  Drove 60 miles and bought one.  A couple days later while shopping for targets 3 of the stores I called had multiple ones even though I was told they didn't carry them.  The lack of knowledge in stores here is unbelievable.  I called a hardware store the other day and asked for a magnetizing / demagnetizing tool.  I was told they don't sell one.  I asked do you even know what I am talking about?  I got a straight answer then.  No I don't know what it is but we don't carry anything like that. I explained the package and exactly what it was then. Still got the same answer.  20 minute drive to town walked in picked it up and showed to the tool guy.  "OH I guess we do have them".  Someone could make a business out of informing these other businesses where they are lacking.  Absolutely no product knowledge.  Home Depot and Lowes guys in AK should just come down here and get a contractors license and even the slowest guy at Sportsmans could run Academy Sports or Big 5 or any other one for that matter.
AK Fur Man
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 10:01:41 PM »

Sounds like maybe you found a business niche for yourself there, Jon.  Get after it son!

jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 04:24:57 AM »

Come on Rick, if I start some million dollar business then I'd have to stay here. I'm
gonna be following that lantern before the oil runs out.  J/K It'll pick up down here once I get some networking going and get past some of these ranchers that are gun shy of having folks on their land.
Allot are gun shy about bein sued for someone getting hurt, but even more some are afraid of something you do starting a fire. They are terrified of that right now.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:28:10 AM by jon333 » Logged
AK Fur Man
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:27:02 AM »

Alaska is in your blood!  I will send you some Invasive Species Solutions letterhead so you can gin up a
"Letter of Introduction" to give to ranchers.  Might get your foot in the door if you start out on their coyote and HOG problems.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length