Click on the AFTA logo to return to the main Alaska Frontier Trappers Association Home Page

<
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2017, 11:50:11 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Due to some loading issues we have set pictures to appear as thumbnails. Click on the picture and it should pop up in an expanded size.   
We have added some new triggers for member registration.  Read the latest forum news for help. Email directly for a quick response.  jon@akfrontiertrappers.com 

+  Alaska Frontier Trappers Association
|-+  Trapping
| |-+  Trappers Talk
| | |-+  Bait
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bait  (Read 4183 times)
frozen okie

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:34:08 PM »

Any body save salmon carcass and heads for bait? If so what do you do to them freeze freash or let them good a good smell to them?
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 08:51:56 AM »

I save them Okie.  We buy a lot of our food in bulk quanities and I save any containers big enough for bait that has sealable lids on them.  Whether its fish
heads, beaver meat, muskrats or whatever, I freeze it fresh, then if I want it soured
later I'll thaw a container out (or several containers) and leave it set in the cabin where it will stay thawed for 5 or 6 days or until it sours like I want it.   
But you can also sour it to what you want and then freeze it, just that summers are
always so busy I tend to not keep as good a watch on it as I can in the winter.
frozen okie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:03:56 PM »

I got a bucket of heads and a bucket of carcass aging outside,what do you target with them Spek fox,lynx?
Gonna try to get the oil off them,gonna try for a lure that is liquid and wont freeze.
Might take the buckets and bury them or hang from a tree for a bait station.
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 09:56:14 AM »

I never tried just the oil like that Okie but it should make a good strong call scent
for about anything.  I've used the soured salmon heads in wolf and wolverine sets
mostly and sometimes in lynx sets (along with a visual) .   

Everybody has their own preference but at bait stations  I depend on birds to
draw in predators more so than scent.  So I try to add something to the bait station every three or four days to keep the magpies and ravens working the site.  Mostly the bait is frozen carcuses but if I have small stuff like fish carcuses or muskrat I'll freeze them all together in a lump so the birds can't fly off with them so easily and have to stick around and work at it.   Scent is sorta one directional and follows the prevaleing air movement whereas the bird noise is omnidirectional and the critters can hear them for a very long ways off and will come and check it out. 

But if I was trapping in a more populated area then I would be more inclined to depend on scent rather than birds because other trappers also tend to want to check out bird concentrations, so it would kinda depend on the situation.
frozen okie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 11:06:05 AM »

YA I seem to remember reading some where about a Liquid Draw Station and that is kinda what it was,just bury the bait so the flys and birds dont get it all and the fox and such will work it all year.
May just take the buckets and hang in a tree with a few holes in them to let the smell out and if it warms up drip some.
I got oil from beaver tails and some castor that has been soaking in vodka I was gonna mix the vodka and tail oil with some fish oil and some glycol and try that this year and see how it goes,getting tiered of getting lure on my gloves.
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 08:27:56 PM »

Interesting mix.  I've never tried that combination.  Let us know how it works.
frozen okie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:54:52 AM »

well I am now the proud owner of two 5 gallon buckets of some of the fowlest,rotten stinkin crap I have ever had the privilege of smelling,should work just don't know if I can stand the smell long enuf to get the oil/water off it,may just go with the hang it in a tree or bury it
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 07:22:50 PM »

If it gets beyond a certain point animals will not come near it,  Some type of bacteria
gets into it eventually and it goes beyond just stinking and takes on a poisonous
smell.  When it gets that way not even birds will come near it.   Freezing it is about the only way to keep it 'till  the weather gets cold.  I prefer to freeze it while it's fresh
and then sour it later.    'Course if you're mostly after the oil then that's different.
frozen okie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 12:23:43 PM »

Ya was thinking about putting it in freezer now,but havent opened it to see what juice looks like,probley not enuf oil in it to mess with.I know I need the wind to blow the other way every now and again you can get a wiff of it outside of the house....am geussing 40-50 yards aint far enuf away.
frozen okie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »

hopeing it dont get to that part of being to nasty for critters
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length