Click on the AFTA logo to return to the main Alaska Frontier Trappers Association Home Page

<
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2017, 05:42:11 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Due to some loading issues we have set pictures to appear as thumbnails. Click on the picture and it should pop up in an expanded size.   
We have added some new triggers for member registration.  Read the latest forum news for help. Email directly for a quick response.  jon@akfrontiertrappers.com 

+  Alaska Frontier Trappers Association
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  General Chit Chat
| | |-+  rain, rain go away...I wanna do some pannin' today!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: rain, rain go away...I wanna do some pannin' today!  (Read 3361 times)
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2011, 02:42:07 AM »

Still looking at a 50 / 50 shot on rain.  I hope it's just sprinkles if so.  Rick do your grandsons have some rain coats just in case?  Earl helped me put some black mat on my sluice and new Plexiglas on one of my sight tubes.  I just have to run back over to his place for a smaller classifier. That way we can get them both working a bucket.  More material =  more gold.  Like i said, on the way back we'll trade the gold for a soda..You'll still have to give them $1.59.  Smiley Once we run enough material we can hit my dad's garage and process the fines if it's too wet outside.  We can run a few buckets and get some concentrates, quick pan to see what we got and then take those and put 'em on the wheel in dad's shop. I can fire up the grill for a few burgers while the wheel runs and we pick out the flour gold.  Puttin' in my two weeks notice on Monday...Well maybe I should wait.  Might have to work off the gas to get up there. Tongue
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:53:58 AM by jon333 » Logged
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 02:47:50 AM »

2 weeks ago panning with Earl
Water was kinda cold.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:50:18 AM by jon333 » Logged
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 02:52:51 AM »

a couple more..
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 06:57:19 PM »

Just got back from our short trip today.  Rich with friends and fun but not alot of color.  I shoulda took my camera.  I think I'd be better off scraping down my daughters earings and running them through a sluice.  Actually, we hit a hole that put out one flake per half to quarter shovel full straight into a pan. Rick's grandson panned one small flake straight out of a quarter shovel. Not classified or anything.  Pretty good for his first attempt at running a pan. We cheated on the rest and ran the sluice box concentrates through my blue spiral panner. If we'd have started out digging that last area down, classifying it and then sluicing we'd have done better.  Drizzle started coming in and dinner time was nearing so we'll start there next time.
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 11:20:23 PM »

Something familar about the terrain there Jon.  You working the AGPA claim  there?  (I think thats whats called).  Anyway, iffin you were closer
I'd run your material for you on my shaker table.  Sure cuts down on a lot
of panning.

Thanks for posting the pics.  Prospecting has never been very profitable for me, but sure do enjoy it.

jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 05:21:56 AM »

no claim just a quiet little bend in Hatchers Pass. I got one of those auto spiral blue wheels that pulls my fines and can tune it down to pull all black sand.  I'd like to see a shaker table work.  How does it do on fines and flour gold.  I'm saving all my black sands because I know I am missing some gold.  Every time I go back through it I find a couple more specs.
Might have to bring them down.  I am about to have some free time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:32:13 AM by jon333 » Logged
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 05:24:39 AM »

We were still classifying and sluicing at 2:45 am (went back again at 11 p.m.) finished panning at 5:30..still ain't rich but I love doing it and was with another great friend. Sorry about the bad i phone pics.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:26:03 AM by jon333 » Logged
Dube

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:24:43 AM »

Great photos and looks like lots of fun...I will give you a word of advise from experiance....If Earl falls in the water and you are near him you must watch for the soon to follow "earl-nami" He will know what You speak of if you mention it to him..
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 12:22:43 PM »

Oh OK, not where I thought it was, but strikingly similar.   
I run all my sluice box cleanup through the shaker table.  Kinda depends on the type of material but normally I can run a five gal bucket full in about
a half hour and get all the heavies seperated out.  Thin flake gold takes
more time since it wants to follow the water rather than the heavies,
so you have to rerun it several times.  It will seperate out very fine gold
You can set up magnets in a minisluice and seperate the free gold from the black sands really well.  (Course you still want to save the black sand until
you know if it has anything in it).  But I run magnets on my sluice box just to save having to deal with seperating out the black sands in the concentrates.  Pulling the magnetics up through water washes them clean
so you don't have fine gold or flakes mixed in.

AK Fur Man
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »

Grandsons had a great time "Gold mining" with Jon.  Thanks again, buddy!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length