Click on the AFTA logo to return to the main Alaska Frontier Trappers Association Home Page

<
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2017, 05:47:05 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Due to some loading issues we have set pictures to appear as thumbnails. Click on the picture and it should pop up in an expanded size.   
We have added some new triggers for member registration.  Read the latest forum news for help. Email directly for a quick response.  jon@akfrontiertrappers.com 

+  Alaska Frontier Trappers Association
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  General Chit Chat
| | |-+  Caught our first fake register attempt today.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caught our first fake register attempt today.  (Read 3035 times)
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:03:39 PM »

Caught our first fake register attempt today.  See how fast it starts.  I looked up the I.P. address researched the name and they had allot of reported activity registering for forums and posting bad ads.
Following is the letter I have been sending people to respond for activation if I don't recognize them.  Can you guys read over it and tell me if it sounds o.k. or if I need to redo it.  We are just trying to weed out bots mainly and the occasional anti.  On our last forums we only had a problem with two anti trappers but bots took it down.  Give me some ideas. 

In order to approve your account we would like to know a little about your trapping, hunting or outdoors experience.  I am sorry I have to do this but we had another forum crashed by spammers.  In order to prevent this we want a quick note about your outdoors experience and just a quick note as to what your favorite trap setup is, if you are not a trapper but an outdoorsman just say you don't trap but here is my favorite fishing rig setup or hunting stand setup.  As soon as I get that back your account will be activated.
Thanks, Jon
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:15:29 AM »

Jon,  could or should a trapping license number be included in these case's
(or all case's) ?   
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »

I would but don't want to exclude anyone who wants to join and be a part of the group.  They may not have a license for anything but still want to chime in.  I just want to avoid the bots and spammers.  I don't want any personal info, just let me know it's a real person. I hate having to even postpone registration but on the last one it was automatic registration and we got hammered.  So far this week we have been googled 927 times and I have to sit back and wonder how much is legit and how many are just spambots and webcrawlers.  I just need a simple e-mail to send for a response to prove that folks are real.  I hate doing that but we lost alot of good conversations and pictures last time.  We had almost 300 members and now we are just over 20.  We lost alot of good stuff and I hate that.  I don't want it to happen again.  I wish things would pick up but as Rick pointed out to me, the start of the forums and the good weather now doesn't really sync up.  Everyone is busy and not playing as much on the computer.
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:27:01 PM »

Thank's for the explaination, Jon.  I agree with Rick.  It'll pick up momentum, definitely a busy time of year for everyone right now.   
SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 08:03:11 AM »

Just curious,  when you catch one of them spammers this time of year is
their hide's worth anything?   Probably all have lice.

Smiley
AK Fur Man
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »

Spek,
    You are right.  Their hides are usually lousy and I have found them extremely difficult to "nail to the wall".
Rick

AK Fur Man
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 11:45:04 AM »

Jon,
   I think your reply to potential registrants is good.  If they can't or won't tell you something they do in trapping or can't tell you something regarding hunting (like caliber of rifle and for what game) or fishing (fresh or saltwater species and technique for catching same), I would refuse to register them.  Glad you are "standing guard" on the AFTA website.  Would hate to see a repeat of last time.  Thanks for all you do.
Rick

SpekJones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »

X's 2 on that.  Speaking for myself, I don't mind having to reveal a little
information to the administrator if it will keep things running better and weed out the spammers.
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 06:53:50 AM »

just sent out 6 more e-mails.  I think the bots are getting pretty good.  So far they all look fake but everyone gets a chance.  Some folks have e-mail addresses in some weird places.
jon333
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »

ran off 9 in the last week, haven't had another fake since wednesday.  We'll see what next week brings.  We have had them from Africa and the U.K. and of course California.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length